BOSTON – Four totally different Terriers tallied at the very least three factors because the No. 5 Boston University males’s ice hockey workforce accomplished a weekend sweep of Maine with a 9-6 victory on Saturday night time at Agganis Arena.
BU (17-6-0, 11-4-0 HE) led 4-0 late within the first interval earlier than Maine (9-12-2, 3-8-1 HE) notched 5 of the sport’s subsequent six targets to even the rating at 5-5 within the second stanza. That was as shut because the Black Bears obtained, nevertheless, as BU rattled off 4 straight targets, together with three within the first 8:39 of the third interval, to drag away and decide up its fourth consecutive victory.
Seven totally different Terriers lit the lamp on Saturday. Senior Matt Brown led the Terriers with 4 factors on one aim and three assists, his third four-point sport of the season. Senior Wilmer Skoog and freshman Jeremy Wilmer every collected two targets and one help for 3 factors whereas freshmen brothers Lane and Quinn Hutson every recorded one aim and two assists as a part of their respective three-point evenings.
Sophomore Ty Gallagher scored his first aim of the season and junior Luke Tuch lit the lamp for the second time this weekend and the third time in his final 4 video games. Freshman Ryan Greene and senior Jay O’Brien every secured a pair of assists whereas senior Case McCarthyfreshman Devin Kaplan and senior Sam Stevens all added one help apiece.
Juniors Drew Commesso (12 saves) and Vinny Duplessis (9 saves) mixed to cease 21 photographs, with Duplessis incomes his fifth win of the season.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Skoog scored twice within the first 4:28 to provide BU an early 2-0 lead. His first aim got here simply 36 seconds into the competition when Kaplan drew the eyes of the Maine protection in the direction of him within the nook earlier than threading a move to Skoog in the precise circle. Skoog faked a shot to get his defender to commit and skated to his left earlier than uncorking a shot previous Victor Ostman (4 saves).
- The Swede’s second strike was a gorgeous wrister from the underside of the left circle because the Terriers transitioned into the offensive finish.
- Brown then pushed the result in 3-0 when he picked the highest nook on the facility play at 7:56 of the primary.
- Lane Hutson made it 4-0 with 5:15 left within the first interval when he beat Connor Androlewicz (23 saves) with a backhander, however the Black Bears responded with three straight targets to make it a one-goal sport after 20 minutes.
- Wilmer put the Terriers up by two with his first aim of the night time simply 2:41 into the second stanza. Greene rushed into the Maine zone and carried the puck all the best way under the aim line earlier than discovering Wilmer in the precise circle for a one-timer.
- The Black Bears responded on the 5:54 mark after which tied the rating lower than 2:00 later.
- Maine thought it had taken its first lead of the sport at 11:26 of the second however a profitable problem for goaltender interference negated the aim.
- Gallagher gave BU a lead it by no means relinquished simply 1:43 after that assessment when his shot from the highest of the zone ricocheted off a Maine defender and into the again of the online.
- The Hutson brothers linked simply 2:26 into the ultimate body to increase the result in 7-5, as Lane fired a move from one blue line to the opposite, springing Quinn for a breakaway bid that he transformed on for his ninth aim of the season.
- Wilmer and Tuch tallied power-play targets 3:07 aside to make it 9-5 with 11:21 remaining in regulation.
- Nolan Renwick obtained a aim again for Maine with 3:29 on the clock to shut the scoring.
- Twelve totally different Terriers accomplished a multi-point weekend in opposition to Maine.
- BU went 3-for-3 on the facility play Saturday.
- This was essentially the most targets by the Terriers since a 9-3 win over UMass Lowell on Dec. 9, 2017.
- Two totally different Terrier ahead strains mixed for eight factors every on Saturday, as the road of Wilmer (2g, 1a), Greene (2a) and Quinn Hutson (1g, 2a) recorded three targets and 5 assists between them whereas the trio of Brown (1g, 3a), Skoog (2g, 1a) and Kaplan (1a) did the identical.
- This was the second time that the road of Wilmer, Greene and Hutson mixed for eight factors, as additionally they did that within the Terriers’ season-opening 8-2 win over Bentley on Oct. 1.
- BU additionally had seven totally different aim scorers in that win over Bentley.
- Lane Hutson has now recorded a degree in seven straight video games, totaling three targets and 7 assists for 10 factors in that stretch.
- Brown prolonged his level streak to 5 video games (3g, 7a) and tallied eight factors (2g, 6a) over the final three video games.
- Brown now leads Hockey East with 34 factors and is second nationally with 23 assists.
- O’Brien pushed his level streak to 5 video games, having recorded one aim and 6 assists in that span.
- McCarthy, the reigning Hockey East Defender of the Week, and Greene have notched 5 assists throughout their respective four-game level streaks.
- The Battle of Comm. Ave. takes middle stage subsequent weekend because the Terriers and No. 18 Eagles start a home-and-home sequence at Agganis on Friday, Jan. 27, at 7 p.m