By Adam Lucas
1. It may not have come by as effectively on TV, however that was a really, very tough sport to win in Syracuse. Carolina escapes with a 72-68 win and has now gained 10 of 12.
2. RJ Davis goes to wish that weekend off. The Tar Heel guard bounced round all evening, struggling a shot to the pinnacle and an injured finger however nonetheless standing his floor to attract a vital offensive foul within the closing seconds. Davis was nonetheless being labored on after the sport by the Tar Heel coaching employees.
3. Carolina’s passing within the first dozen minutes was beautiful. The Heels had an help on the primary ten baskets of the sport and have been carving up the Syracuse zone. For the sport, they completed with 20 assists on 26 subject objectives. Davis and Caleb Love had 5 apiece.
4. Pete Nance was essential across the center of that 2-3 zone. Nance discovered a smooth spot, as many Carolina massive males have executed, across the ACC brand close to the free throw line. He wasn’t extraordinarily environment friendly, going 6-for-17, however he did rating 21 factors and was a harmful offensive risk in that spot as he confirmed the power to shoot, drive or go.
5. Nance additionally hit a clutch free throw with 21.4 seconds left after which reaped the advantages of the Heels hitting the offensive glass, as Leaky Black and Armando Bacot mixed to power a free ball that bounded to Nance, who scored to offer UNC the lead that they didn’t relinquish.
6. Davis drawing the offensive foul will draw most of the eye, however he additionally performed excellent protection on Mintz on the earlier possession, when the Orange very clearly wished Mintz to get a shot. He ultimately bought it, however Davis bothered him sufficient for it to be a miss.
7. Some good minutes from Tyler Nickell off the Carolina bench. Nickel performed 12 minutes and hit a 3-pointer and had a really loud block on Mintz that thwarted a Syracuse quick break. The Tar Heel bench continues to rotate in gamers who, from sport to sport, discover a method to contribute–and it is somebody totally different each evening.
8. Caleb Love’s capturing regarded a lot better within the first half, when he nailed three three-pointers. Love took simply seven subject purpose makes an attempt and scored 15 factors. He additionally made six journeys to the free throw line, making 4. He wasn’t in search of his shot a lot within the second half, however contemplating the chatter about how aggressive he often is offensively, it is powerful to complain about not capturing. He additionally made three of 4 key free throws with beneath 11 seconds to go.
9. Syracuse took simply three free throws, which will definitely be some extent of dialogue. There have been too many opinions that went on too lengthy on this sport, however a constructive was that the crew set the tone for what was and wasn’t going to be known as early and largely caught with it. Quite a bit of put up contact went unwhistled, nevertheless it stayed that means all through the evening.
10. Carolina pressured 17 Cuse turnovers and turned it into 21 factors. Nine of these got here by way of UNC steals, with 4 from Nance.
11. Great time for a while off. Carolina can hopefully get Puff Johnson wholesome (who missed a second straight sport with a knee damage) and now should attend RJ Davis. The Heels do not play once more till a house date with Pitt on Feb. 1.