By Adam Lucas
1. Intense, powerful, good win for Carolina within the 80-69 win over NC State.
2. Certainly hoping for the very best for Terquavion Smith, who left with what gave the impression to be a really painful harm after falling awkwardly following a Leaky Black foul.
3. What a day for Armando Bacot, who set a pair of college data. He now owns the profession file for double-doubles, eclipsing a mark held by Billy Cunningham for the final 60 years. The ACC and NCAA file, in case you are curious, is Tim Duncan with 87. He additionally set the college’s all-time rebounding file and was honored after the sport, with former record-holder Tyler Hansbrough in attendance. Bacot completed with 23 factors and 18 rebounds.
4. It’s been that sort of stretch for RJ Davis. He banked in an extended three-pointer with the shot clock expiring within the first half on his method to 16 factors within the first interval and completed with 24 on simply eight photographs. He went 12-12 from the free throw line.
5. Carolina was helped by the return of Jalen Washington on Saturday, who had missed the Boston College sport with an ankle harm. But the personnel continues to be a revolving door, as Puff Johnson missed the sport with a sore knee. The Tar Heels have had their full roster accessible for precisely one Atlantic Coast Conference sport this season, with absences in varied video games from Armando Bacot (VT and UVA), D’Marco Dunn (VT and GT), Pete Nance (Wake, Notre Dame, UVA and Louisville) and Washington (Boston College). Of course, Will Shaver can be out for an extended time period with a foot harm.
6. The Tar Heels did not get the manufacturing from the bench that they wanted. Four completely different reserves noticed motion within the first half and went 0-for-6 from the sector with zero rebounds, one help and two turnovers. Even with Dunn enjoying prolonged minutes because of the officiating crew ejecting Black, the bench nonetheless managed only one level and didn’t have a rebound.
7. Carolina wants the extra engaged model of Caleb Love than what they bought within the first half. Love’s solely entries within the field rating have been his photographs, the place he went 1-for-5. Other than that, he had zero entries within the field score–no assists, no rebounds, no private fouls and no fouls drawn.
7. In one of many only a few video games you will notice this season with two true large guys going at it within the paint, Carolina was at a determined defensive drawback when Bacot went out with two fouls with 3:49 left within the first half. DJ Burns instantly posted up Jalen Washington and scored on him. The Tar Heels then switched Pete Nance to Burns and tried doubling him, however twice in a row the Wolfpack discovered Casey Morsell with good ball motion for open three-pointers. That sequence helped hold it shut at halftime, because the Tar Heels had a one-point benefit on the break (however misplaced simply two factors off their lead after Bacot left the sport).
8. That was quietly a really well-coached sport from Hubert Davis. Several very small performs have been vital. For instance, when State’s Burns went out with 4 fouls early within the second half, Davis was instantly subbed Jalen Washington for Bacot simply to get the Tar Heel large man slightly relaxation, though it wasn’t his regular time to rotate out. Davis additionally drew up a superb inbounds play with 0.6 seconds on the shot clock late within the sport, however Caleb Love could not convert the dunk (becoming, with the 1993 staff in attendance, since there have been shades of the 93 Heels towards Cincinnati on that play).
9. Carolina completed with simply 5 assists on 20 discipline targets, a quantity that has been declining lately. The Heels got here into the sport with assists on simply 39.2% of the hampers within the final three video games. The Heels did most of their offensive work on the free throw line, the place they received a glowing 36-39. Love was 9-for-10 and Bacot hit 7-for-7.
10. Carolina is now 36-5 towards State within the final 41 video games and an unimaginable 53-12 towards the Pack over the past 30+ seasons.
11. Carolina’s 1993 nationwide champions have been honored at halftime. Virtually all of the members of the roster who should not concerned in faculty basketball (a bunch that features Derrick Phelps, Brian Reese and Scott Cherry) have been readily available. George Lynch voiced the in-arena pregame video that was a salute each to the ’93 staff and to this 12 months’s squad. Other lettermen in attendance included Mitch Kupchak, Buzz Peterson and Tyler Hansbrough.