The Kentucky males’s basketball staff is ready to go to the Bahamas for a four-game exhibition tour beginning subsequent week. There, the Wildcats are set to tackle two nationwide groups (Dominican Republic U22 and Bahamas), a highly-regarded Canadian school staff (Carleton University) and knowledgeable staff from Mexico (Monterey Tech).
Before then, although, the staff participated in an intrasquad open scrimmage at Rupp Arena on Tuesday as a part of the Kentucky Flood Relief Telethon.
It was a 20-minute full-contact five-on-five scrimmage, one which featured all the 2022-23 roster excluding Lance Ware (injured) and Ugonna Kingsley Onyenso (arriving on campus August 20).
How did the Wildcats look? KSR was on-site for the open apply, after which bought just a few additional views whereas watching the occasion replay, courtesy of the official KSR YouTube web page. Check out the player-by-player breakdown beneath:
After backing up Keion Brooks Jr. for 2 seasons, Jacob Toppin is enjoying with confidence and freedom for the primary time in his profession, a model new participant. The anticipated starter on the 4 spot, the senior ahead placed on a present offensively, ending robust across the rim, flattening 3-point jumpers — 4 to be actual — and exhibiting off contact within the mid-range. He was in assault mode on each contact, driving with objective and trying to rating. As a shooter, he confirmed off a assured stroke as a path man and on catch-and-shoot appears from the nook, firing with zero hesitation. The spotlight performs have been additionally there, along with his greatest being a ferocious windmill dunk in transition.
Standing 6-foot-10, Toppin brings a novel mixture of dimension, size and athleticism to the desk. The ability, although, hadn’t caught up with the bodily instruments, leaving him as a long-term potential piece.
Now, it seems he is prepared to show that potential into actual manufacturing.
- Ripped by means of from the left wing, drove at Oscar Tshiebwe within the center for a gentle end on the rim
- Catch-and-shoot 3-pointer because the path man from the highest of the important thing
- Beat his man off the dribble on the wing, straight line drive to the basket for a powerful end on the rim
- Windmill dunk in transition off a CJ Fredrick cross-court move
- Helpside block resembling a volleyball spike on a powerful take to the basket from Adou Thiero
- Tough floater by means of contact on a right-side drive
- Face-up on the left baseline, fadeaway with a hand in his face from Chris Livingston. Drilled it. Next possession down, catch-and-shoot look from the left nook
- Catch-and-shoot three from the left nook with a hand in his face from Antonio Reeves
- Catch-and-shoot three in transition from the left nook
- Defense collapses on a drive to the basket, crisp move out to the perimeter for a clear look from three
The Illinois State switch may be very comfy in isolation as an on-ball initiator, trying to break down defenders to arrange clear appears in any respect three ranges. He’ll use mixture dribble strikes to get the protection off-balance earlier than attacking with both hand, utilizing his excessive basketball IQ and really feel to create simple ending alternatives across the basket. He’s a score-first guard able to getting you a bucket when crucial, an amazing luxurious to have.
Any issues concerning Reeves’ lack of ability to regulate from the Missouri Valley to the SEC have been put to relaxation on Tuesday.
- Went coast-to-coast off a rebound, hitting a hesitation crossover transfer in transition to arrange a clean end on the basket
- Guarded by Sahvir Wheeler in an isolation alternative, Reeves danced forwards and backwards on the appropriate wing earlier than ripping by means of on a crossover to the left, organising an and-one end on the rim. His greatest spotlight of the night time
- Attacked off the dribble from the appropriate nook, lower by means of the lane for a gentle left-handed end on the rim
- Strong block on Sahvir Wheeler on the rim earlier than going coast-to-coast for a drop-off to Oscar Tshiebwe for a dunk
Coming off a season-ending hamstring harm in 2021-22, Fredrick moved effectively within the five-on-five scrimmage, comfy going baseline to baseline, coming off screens and operating the dribble drive. He’s a quick-trigger catch-and-shoot specialist who wasn’t afraid to let it fly, hitting his fair proportion. Of the photographs he missed, they rimmed out. Kentucky will proceed to take issues sluggish with Fredrick, however his function on this staff is evident: make photographs.
- Guarding out on the perimeter, he denied a clear look from Adou Thiero. Solid defensive cease
- Smooth floater within the paint on a drive from the left wing
- Stepback three from the left nook with Jacob Toppin’s hand in his face. Immediately adopted it up with a deflection out of bounds on the opposite finish
The five-star freshman confirmed that he was comfy initiating the offense, enjoying with unbelievable persistence and understanding tempo. He’s not often rushed with the ball in his arms. Wallace appeared to all the time discover himself in the appropriate place on the proper time for scoring alternatives each within the half-court and in transition. Smooth jumper that fell each in taking pictures drills and within the scrimmage.
Defensively, Wallace was engaged and appeared to provide you with deflections and steals. He swarmed ball handlers and located methods to poke balls unfastened.
He is probably not the flashiest participant on the ground, however the freshman guard merely produces on each ends.
- Recovers a nasty move, steps right into a clean 3-pointer from the appropriate wing. Nothing however web on a fast launch
- Contested and blocked a powerful end on the rim by Chris Livingston
- Quick leap for a one-handed punch on a dump-off from Daimion Collins
- Tipped one ball out of bounds, then bought one other on an Oscar Tshiebwe catch within the paint, resulting in a transition bucket for Sahvir Wheeler on the different finish
- Closed out the scrimmage with a stepback three off a dribble hand-off from Jacob Toppin, knocking it down in Oscar Tshiebwe’s face on the buzzer
Another high-potential participant for the Wildcats, Collins appeared higher on tape than I remembered seeing reside. The sophomore ahead appeared to point out off his face-up sport, taking (and making) a number of jumpers from the mid-range and three. At one level, he grabbed a rebound, introduced the ball up the ground and crossed over right into a free-throw line fadeaway jumper. The shot rolled out, however he was comfy and assured in his launch. The hesitation we noticed from Collins in 12 months one has slowly begun to fade.
Don’t overlook concerning the athleticism, both. He had one windmill dunk in transition and some different drive-and-slams, together with just a few robust blocks and contests on the rim on the opposite finish.
While his bodily progress is evident, Collins nonetheless bought pushed round within the submit and struggled to complete by means of contact. He might want to proceed so as to add weight within the coming months main as much as the season.
- Stepback jumper from the appropriate elbow, high-arching shot with gentle contact
- Fake dribble hand-off units up a clear look from the left wing, clean launch and end for the 3-pointer
- Windmill dunk in transition
- Got Oscar Tshiebwe to chunk on a pump-fake from the appropriate elbow and drove for a head-above-rim slam.
- Reached again to catch a lob from Sahvir Wheeler, nonetheless managed to complete with a gentle contact on the rim.
- Hit Chris Livingston with a pump faux to get him off-balance, drove baseline for a powerful dunk on the rim, then blocked the freshman’s layup try on the opposite finish
At 6-foot-7, 225 kilos, the freshman ahead confirmed off his versatility, splitting his time on the three and 4 — basically as a fourth guard. He appeared to steer the cost off a rebound, comfy bringing the ball up the ground to provoke the offense. As a scorer, he knocked down one 3-pointer, however principally bought his factors on simple appears across the rim. Known for getting downhill and utilizing his mixture of power and athleticism to attain, Livingston did not assault off the dribble as typically as you need.
- Hit a catch-and-shoot three from the left nook
- Saw one drive from the left wing, beating Toppin off the dribble for a simple end on the rim.
- Waiting within the dunker’s spot on a dump-off from Fredrick, completed on the double-clutch lay-in round Toppin
- Finished on one other dunk on the rim on a glance forward from Tshiebwe
- Hit Tshiebwe on a backdoor lower for a left-handed end on the rim
It was a lot the identical for the reigning National Player of the Year. Tshiebwe scored on a number of clean-up buckets across the rim whereas hitting the occasional mid-range jumper. He appeared to drive from the highest of the important thing for robust dunks and lay-ins, one thing we did not see a lot of final season. The 6-foot-9 middle additionally knocked down a 3-point jumper and wasn’t afraid to take just a few extra, incomes cheers from the gang.
- Breakaway dunk off a steal in transition
- Left shoulder leap hook over Livingston, no hesitation.
- Right nook 3-pointer
- Fake dribble hand-off, drive and dunk
Like Tshiebwe, Wheeler did what he does greatest. Got paint touches and artful passes to arrange simple buckets for his teammates. Knocked down one 3-pointer from the highest of the important thing, but in addition missed on just a few open appears. Very spectacular finishes on the basket by means of contact and round size. Looked to push the tempo and create transition alternatives. Carved his manner by means of defenders for spectacular finishes.
- Double crossover and spin transfer on the baseline results in up-and-under reverse lay-in
- 3-pointer off a set display from the highest of the important thing
- Left-handed end by means of contact on the basket
- Scoop shot on the rim in transition
The freshman guard was restricted for undisclosed causes, sitting out the second half of the scrimmage. During his time on the ground, although, Thiero was disruptive on the defensive finish of the ground, developing with just a few deflections and a monster block on the rim. He appeared to make use of his lengthy strides to get paint touches, however was unable to place any factors on the board.
The flashes have been there, particularly on protection. As he continues to develop and discover his id as a school basketball participant, the potential is there.
- Strong block on a baseline lay-in try from Fredrick, ripped it cleanly from behind with power