EAST RUTHERFORD, NJ — The New York Giants ran by a follow stuffed with scrimmage sort conditions throughout Friday night’s Fan Fest at MetLife Stadium. The stadium’s decrease bowl was pretty properly occupied for the crew’s second Fan Fest in as a few years.
“Got lots of good work on the market,” mentioned head coach Brian Daboll. “Lot of excellent issues, tried to place the fellows in lots of totally different conditions … tried to make it as game-like as we may.
“I assumed either side competed properly.”
Injury notes: Rookie guard Marcus McKethan injured
- Rookie guard Marcus McKethan was carted off the sphere in the course of the scrimmage with an obvious proper leg harm. McKethan was drafted in Round 5. Daboll didn’t have any data on the extent of McKethan’s harm. A variety of teammates stopped by the cart earlier than it drove away to supply properly needs to McKethan.
- Cornerback Adoree’ Jackson left the sphere close to the tip of a drive of almost 20 performs. Daboll mentioned Jackson “simply tightened up slightly bit” with a cramp.
- Wide receiver David Sills labored on the aspect Friday, together with newly-acquired defensive again Nate Meadors.
WR Robert Foster, TE Ricky Seals-Jones and CB Rodarius Williams are usually not practising once more. Sixth straight missed follow for Seals-Jones.
— Dan Duggan (@DDuggan21) August 5, 2022
Fired up for Fan Fest
Giants’ security Xavier McKinney was requested Friday afternoon if he was wanting ahead to the Fan Fest follow.
“Obviously, it’s going to be our first time everyone as a bunch, on the market within the stadium. It’s going to be enjoyable. I do know the vitality goes to be up, we’re excited, and we’re able to form of get that little first glimpse of how we will be enjoying and know what we will be doing,” McKinney mentioned. “So, it’s going to be enjoyable, and we’re wanting ahead to it.”
After the occasion, here’s what Daboll mentioned concerning the ambiance:
“It was good to get the followers on the market. Great help. It was slightly totally different vitality, slightly bit more drained … thought it was precisely what we would have liked by way of tempo of follow, the quantity of performs we had.”
Quote of the day
— Saquon Barkley on whether or not he feels urgency to assist Daniel Jones after being harm a lot the previous couple of years
These are fully unofficial, however listed below are the stats I’ve for quarterbacks on Friday evening. A handful of those performs might have been negated by penalties, however I’m together with each throw I charted.
- Daniel Jones: 15 of 26
- Tyrod Taylor: 8 of 13
- Davis Webb: 7 of 15
Jones had an uneven first session, going 5 of 12 and throwing two balls that would have been intercepted. Adoree’ Jackson knocked a go away from Kadarius Toney, and Tae Crowder dropped an interception on a throw meant for Saquon Barkley.
Daboll mentioned that total he felt the decision-making by all three quarterbacks was “fairly good.”
In phrases of Jones particularly, Daboll mentioned “I assumed he operated properly.”
A noteworthy factor concerning the offense was that the Giants ran a reasonably vanilla, easy assault. Numerous the motion we’ve got seen in training camp was absent.
The Giants’ first groups had been on the sphere for a pair of drives totaling 34 performs. Daboll mentioned these lengthy drives had been orchestrated deliberately.
“Little bit scorching. Little bit humid. What we would have liked,” Daboll mentioned. “I assumed it was a aggressive follow. I assumed the fellows had been slightly bit more upbeat. It’s pure — followers out right here, music going. Certainly there’s quite a bit to enhance on I feel. We’re shifting in the proper course, however we’re a methods away.
“We have to enhance our conditioning degree. That’s why we did these two lengthy drives — everybody may get a really feel for the place they’re at individually, however collectively that’ll be a degree of emphasis this week.”
As talked about beforehand, Jackson left earlier than a type of drives ended with what Daboll mentioned was cramping.
The Giants did a interval of reside tackling with the third-team offense and protection on the sphere. Daboll mentioned that it was to assist these gamers put together for Thursday’s preseason opener vs. the New England Patriots, since they are going to doubtless play the majority of the snaps.
“They’ll in all probability play quite a bit within the preseason,” Daboll mentioned. “Didn’t need it to be the primary time that they had reside contact.”
Offensive line ideas
Daboll mentioned he thought the offensive line was “jelling … they’re coming collectively.”
“You’ll get the truest check of an analysis from the offensive line in reside reps the place you may deliver a quarterback down, you may deliver a operating again down,” Daboll mentioned. “But I feel the fellows are speaking properly, they’re working collectively, nonetheless acquired a protracted approach to go, however I feel they’re shifting in the proper course.”
Kayvon Thibodeaux making an impression
The No. 5 total choose has not made a ton of splashy performs up to now in training camp, however it’s fairly straightforward to see that he’s arduous for offensive linemen to deal with. How’s that? Thibodeaux has drawn quite a few holding penalties up to now in training camp. Friday evening, he drew one from rookie proper sort out Evan Neal.
“He’s robust to dam,” Daboll mentioned. “He’d completed a great job these previous few practices. He’s acquired a wide range of go rush strikes. Again, he is a rookie … good younger participant, he is acquired quite a bit to work on. I hope he attracts more of ’em.”
The Giants added offensive sort out Will Holden on Friday and waived linebacker Niko Lalos. They additionally waived defensive again Jarren Williams from injured reserve. Holden, with just a few hours to digest the playbook, was taking third-team reps at proper sort out Friday evening.
- Placekicker Graham Gano made a 30-yard area objective.
- Undrafted free agent security Yusuf Corker intercepted a Davis Webb go, grabbing a deflection by UDFA cornerback Darren Evans ultimately zone and returning it roughly 60 yards.
- Doss dropped a go from Webb that might have been a landing. Doss additionally had a catch on a deep ball by Webb.
- Wan’Dale Robinson caught a third-down go from Jones over the center and turned it right into a acquire of roughly 32 yards.
- Undrafted free agent tight finish Andre Miller, aligned at fullback, caught a landing go from Jones on a fourth-and-1.
- Collin Johnson had a catch of roughly 45 yards on a deep ball from Tyrod Taylor nullified by a holding penalty.
- Leonard Williams was a power throughout first-team work, spending appreciable time within the backfield.
- The Giants’ snapping woes continued as Garrett McGhin fired a snap properly vast of Webb at one level. Backup heart stays a query mark.