The Washington Capitals’ rematch with the Philadelphia Flyers went very similar to the primary one, which is to say: not nice!
Scott Laughton tipped Tony DeAngelo’s shot to put the Flyers up within the first, however Alex Ovechkin labored arduous for a rebound to tie it up via the primary interval. Philly received two within the second interval, each via defensive breakdowns: one from James van Riemsdyk and the second from Wade Allison. The Caps performed an actual good third interval, however Carter Hart wasn’t letting something previous.
Caps lose. Flyers take wins in each halves of the home-and-home series
- Peter Laviolette scratched Dylan Strome, which was a baffling lineup transfer. He break up up Dowd and Hathaway, which it’s trivial to present is a foul concept. I believe this head coach is at his finest when he will get out of his personal method. He has been very in his personal method these days. The incipient traces had some conspicuous issues — particularly the Mantha-Dowd-Oshie scrambling earlier than the Allison aim.
- And but, the road that struggled probably the most with puck possession was the road not fiddled with: the Ovi line. And they managed to rating a aim anyway. Lines aren’t all the pieces.
- I do not understand how usually James van Riemsdyk has scored in opposition to brother Trevor van Riemsdyk and vice versa. It occurred tonight, as JvR deactivated his cloaking system shortly earlier than receiving a go from Owen Tippett. I’m positive somebody someplace has parsed a decade of play-by-play knowledge to determine xvR-vs-xvR objectives, and I’ll positively steal that man’s stat each time it reveals up. Here’s the cloaking system play, which you’d assume can be unlawful. You should not be allowed to be invisible to the protection till you get the puck.
James van Riemsdyk is wiiiiiiide open to put the Flyers again on prime. 😅 pic.twitter.com/txRjQMHUrK
— Sportsnet (@Sportsnet) January 15, 2023
- JVR’s aim was the primary of two inside a 50-second stretch, each off misplays in Washington’s personal zone.
- After a three-game hunch, Alex Ovechkin scored his thirtieth aim of the season. I like that it was a greasy one, a backhand approaching a rebound, the place Ovi received denied on his try. That makes 2022-23 his seventeenth season with no less than 30 objectives, tied for the NHL document. He’s on a 54-goal tempo.
- Lars Eller received busted for a visit that I can not work out in my head. Dude jumped up and landed on Eller’s stick, which was in a standard stick place. Flyers scored instantly on the making certain energy play. Unlucky.
- Not our sport, however try the persevering with fiasco that’s the digital board adverts. (Seizure warning)
Im so bored with digital board adverts pic.twitter.com/00NUki8FD7
— ًًً (@twistedleafs) January 15, 2023
- Coming off two consecutive wholesome scratches, Anthony Mantha returned to motion. I used to be satisfied he’d really feel compelled to combat. He did not, and that is a great factor, even when it spoiled my bit. I believe Mantha’s place within the lineup and on the roster stays tenuous.
- I assumed Nick Backstrom was fairly good, which is perhaps an important takeaway of the evening. He’s nonetheless method below a standard workload.
— good tweet pete 🌮 (@peterhassett) January 14, 2023
In the tip, I suppose Philadelphia goalie Carter Hart stole this one.
Once we put the fantastic story about Backstrom’s and Wilson’s returns apart, this was a extremely crummy week for Capitals hockey. Two straight losses to an inferior division rival by which they have been no less than considerably outplayed. I encourage them to get wiser earlier than Monday’s go to to Long Island.
Headline photograph: @TheMSRP